Monday, September 10, 2012

Are we really failing the Turing Test?

This author certainly thinks so - and he put it right in the title of his blog post (a very clever reference, if I may say so). He argues that online communication is often viewed to be entirely different from face-to-face interaction to the extent that we are no longer held accountable for being 'human'.

It is a fascinating idea to me. Does the mode of our communication absolve us of some degree of humanity? In the social constructionist line of thought, in which it is said that humans create their reality through their daily interactions with each other, are we absolving ourselves of certain societal norms by utilizing technology to communicate? Are we beyond the reach of our culture when we step into the digital realm? I disagree, but I'm not sure Robinince (the author) does.

It is an interesting line of thought, and I enjoyed reading what he had to say.

Computer leads to Humans failing Turing Test - by Robinince, posted 6 Sept 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment