Saturday, September 22, 2012

Time for a Technology Detox?

Are we spending too much time with technology?

Apparently yes. Websites ranging from Net Addiction Recovery to Forbes to Laywerist.com all suggest we go on a technology detox or diet - heck, there's even a 4-Step self help book out there to help us break our technology addictions.

TG Daily (who, for the record, also recommend a tech diet) cites research conducted by scientists UCSF claiming that the multitasking current technology enables is not only killing our attention span but also hindering "long-term memory and mental performance."

However, whether we choose to engage in a tech diet or not might not be our decision to make if state governments have any say in the matter - most states have some sort of law against texting and driving and TGDaily (in the above article) suggests that some are attempting to take that legislation even further. You can check out what legislation your state has put forth over at handsfreeinfo.com.

Capitalist undertones aside, what are the benefits of constant technology use?
... Bueller?

3 comments:

  1. Jessica Naimo:

    Combine this idea of technology overload with the contradictory idea of parents using technology on their children as a sort of digital pacifier (http://nonhumanme.tumblr.com/post/31990374621/phones-as-pacifiers). I think we, as a society, are sending all these mixed messages to up and coming generations. "Don't use too much technology. It's bad for your brain" and "Here's a phone to shut you up". All these signals, I could imagine, would make it hard to actually appreciate technology for what it is. I don't think constant technology use is good but it has an added benefit in our lives when necessary (quick, immediate communication, communication globally, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an information overload. Our thinking has become fragmented. Our focus has become obsolete. Our minds wander and we become inattentive.

    I responded to your blog post with a blog post of my own: http://anacuello.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/technology-overload/

    The link gives more insight to the information overload phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that it is an information overload. I have a friend who is constantly traveling for work and he always has to be accessible by phone and laptop. During the weekends he goes MIA and turns off ALL his technology because he says it gets overwhelming.

    It's almost sad that we have to have a self help book for digital detox, but it seems necessary in this day and age. I wonder what effects actually practicing those steps would have on your social and professional life.

    ReplyDelete